this is the best cake you will ever eat! tres leches means "better than the better than sex cake" in spanish. ;)
here is the recipe exactly how i make it.
Tres Leches Cake
1 box Pillsbury White Cake Mix
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons mexican vanilla
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup evaporated milk
4 cups whipping cream
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease and flour or spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan. Let stand 5 minutes. Poke top of hot cake every 1/2 inch with long-tined fork, wiping fork and running under hot water.
- In large bowl, stir together sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1 cup of the whipping cream. Carefully pour evenly over top of cake. Cover; refrigerate about 1 hour or until mixture is absorbed into cake (I personally think this cake tastes better the day after its been made. I always make mine at least 3-4 hours before severing).
- Whip the rest of the whipping cream with about 2-3 tablespoons of sugar until stiff peaks from. Frost the cake. I like to sprinkle cinnamon on top but Mick likes strawberries. You pick! Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 15 servings
kenny was playing so happily and contently in the dirt, ignoring me when i called his name until...he saw the cake. i have never seen that kid run as fast as he did to get to the cake!
even in the shade i could not get him to keep his eyes open when he took a bite. haha. we would take a bite and then say "mmmm!". yeah...it's that good!
note the dirt all around his lips...